Updated: Oct 21, 2019
The world of marketing has undergone some radical changes in the last couple of years, in fact so much so that I bet some of you are saying… “What, where, why and how will I use this in my business?”
I want to give you some quick ‘Do’s and Don’ts’ for effectively marketing your business in this digital minefield.
· Engage with someone professional to do your website. This is your foundation, the online shop window to your business! You only have one opportunity to make an impact, so make sure customers are getting a good first impression!
· How can you get traffic to your ‘Shop Window’? Engage a digital consultant or agency to help you work through a marketing plan. This should consist of an ongoing, evolving plan as this is an ever-changing digital landscape and we must keep up!
· Work out your digital return on investment (ROI) – when you pay for advertising ask the question, ‘what will this return to me?’ No-one has an endless supply of marketing budget (well no-one I know), so know your return and make every dollar count.
· Have a plan, and stick to it! There are new digital products and trends announced all the time, before jumping on the bandwagon have a good hard look at what the new product will offer, and make sure it’s the right fit for your business.
· Use a scattergun effect with a little bit of marketing on every available platform, this is an age-old mistake especially in the digital world. Maybe in the earlier days we could have gotten away with this… but not now.
It’s all about having a strategy and a good plan to carry it out!
· Do it yourself. In most cases this isn’t a good idea, there is a lot to learn and a lot of room for error… you’re a professional in your industry, let the professionals in the marketing world help you.
· When engaging a marketing agency, make sure they are the real deal. (That’s not your mate’s son unless he works somewhere that is an agency… would you let your mate re-wire your house just because he knows how to change a lightbulb?)
· Lastly don’t be pushed into anything, get a few opinions – just like you would if you were buying a pair of shoes. You need to shop around, there’s more than one pair out there, and it’s all about finding the right fit!
I’ll have more tips to help in future blogs, if you have anything to share – a do or a don’t – just leave a comment so your experience can help other people out!